Friday, July 23, 2010

St. Philip Neri Church

St. Philip Neri Church, 12 x 9
NFS

Last week I accompanied my mother to eastern Ohio to visit relatives and the area near the farm on which she grew up. At eighty-eight years old, she was glad to be able to make the trip and had a wonderful time. The church above is special to my mother. She, along with most of her direct American-born ancestors, on both sides of her family, were baptized in this church. She attended the church, built in 1849 in the village of Dungannon, until she left the area to become a Navy nurse during World War II, where she met my father. The painting is a gift to my mother, Ruth Wernet Parker.

9 comments:

wfparker said...

A great job, Stephen. I'm sure Mother is thrilled.

mary said...

That is beautiful, Stephen; the painting and the story.

Gwen Bell said...

What a beautiful building and story! Love the red color and your treatment of the trees. I know your Mother must treasure this!

Carolyn Finnell said...

As if the painting isn't enough, the story with it makes it even more special.

Mary said...

This is just lovely, Stephen. Such a different feel than the limestone churches built in this area. The brick with this light makes it so warm and inviting. A gem in the Ohio countryside.

Johanna Spinks said...

Great handling of those trees....

Don Furey said...

You chose a nice direction to view the church, and the lighting is great. Marilyn and I love the picture.

Stephen Parker said...

Hi, Donald. Thank you. I'm glad you like the picture. It was great spending time with you both last week, along with the rest of the Furey clan. Hopefully, we'll see each other again before too many years pass.

Laurel Daniel said...

What a wonderful gift! Beautiful.