Monday, May 17, 2010

Holding Back

Holding Back, 9 x 12

This painting was a long time in completing. The subject is from our last Plein Air Austin paintout of April, at Mansfield Dam. I blocked in the main shapes and colors and not much more while on site and hadn't gotten back to it until today. I think I knew I had a big challenge ahead of me to make this complex structure both believable and compelling. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and something close to elated to have it behind me.

3 comments:

Patricia Siegel said...

Well worth the wait, Stephen. 'Really like the reflections on the water. Great work!

wfparker said...

I love it! Admittedly, I had my glasses off when I went to your blog, but I first thought it was a photograph. It's really an excellent job.

Vicente Herrero said...

Good works, are numerous, it is difficult to know the work of many painters.
Regards.